In Money Trail, Journalismfund.eu offers working grants for (mixed teams of) African, Asian and European journalists to investigate cross-border illicit financial flows, tax abuse and corruption in Africa, Asia and Europe. Grants are awarded to journalists solely by Journalismfund.eu, with no input or oversight at any stage from the consortium as a whole.
The primary goal of this grant is to expose illicit finance and tax abuse.
The total amount per call is around 50.000 euro. In 2020, there will be three deadlines in total. Each deadline will be preceded by pre-application advice sessions for those interested. Find the deadlines below.
• 16 March 2020, 11.59 PM
• 15 June 2020, 11.59 PM
• 14 September 2020, 11.59 PM
If you are interested, please apply here
We receive dozens of well-prepared, interesting applications each application round, so your application will only stand a chance to be allocated a working grant if it is very well prepared (and meets the eligibility criteria).
Your application should fulfill these requirements if you want to be considered for a grant.
- Preferably, journalist teams are intercontinental, consisting of at least one African, one Asian and/or one European journalist. Each team preferably consist of journalists from two continents. Ideally, the teams must provide letters of intent for publication from media organizations in two continents.
- We also accept regional cross-border collaborations in Africa and Asia. Each team must consist of journalists from at least two countries in the two continents.
- Exceptional proposals from individual journalists in Africa and Asia whose story includes an offshore element in a national story, where the money trail leads to a tax haven can be accepted.
- European journalists planning on applying must collaborate with an African or Asian journalist.
- Foreign correspondents are also eligible to submit a proposal with local journalists.
- In order to be eligible for application, the teams have to ensure that their story will be published. Therefore, during the application procedure, they will be asked to upload letters of intent for publication from media organizations ideally in the countries where the journalists are operating from.
How to collaborate intercontinental/How to find a teammate? Read here!