As part of the Money Trail project, Finance Uncovered and Free Press Unlimited offered six training courses (one online) focused on how to investigate tax abuse, money laundering and corruption plus digital safety.
All trainings have taken place. Finance Uncovered is currently piloting an online version of their training on financial investigations. Once the course will be available online, this page will be updated with a link and more information about the course. For trainings on digital safety, Free Press Unlimited offers the following:
Free online digital security courses by Free Press Unlimited’s Totem project:
- How the internet works
- Secure passwords
- Secure messaging apps
- Phishing attacks
- How to bypass internet censorship (for Iran, but also valuable tips for other countries)
- Desk research: How to outsmart your search engine
- Field research: Why field research matters
- Social media research: Going undercover on Instagram
- SAB Miller’s tax avoidance in Ghana, Associated British Food’s tax avoidance in Zambia.
- Tom Bergen’s award winning Reuters investigation into tax abuse by Starbuck, the coffee chain here.
- Here is a summary of the Finance Uncovered cross-border investigation into Africa’s biggest telecom company involving four African journalists who took our course.
- Reports from TJN on Price of Offshore Revisited.
- Simon Bowers ICIJ Paradise Papers article on Nike.